Computers have a menu that allows you to choose which device you want to start your computer's operating system with. This means you can use external hard drives, which are very useful when making backups. Information can also be recovered from a damaged external hard drive.
On the other hand, you may be wondering what an external hard drive is, what it is for and how you can use it on your personal computer. In a simple way we explain everything about the external hard drive, it will be practical and easy for you and your computer, it will work effectively.
What is an external hard drive?
An external hard drive is a type of storage device that is easy to install, and there is no problem transporting it. It does not consume energy and does not cause any discomfort to the system in general, since its purpose is to serve as technical support.
This device also has the function of archiving documents and above all of containing Windows or Linux operating systems. In addition, it also has the ability to memorize important computer programs on laptops or desktops.
What is its main attribute
The main feature of a hard drive is that it is usually micro or small compared to common computer disks. These usually come with a housing that protects them from impact or similar damage, which ensures the device has a long useful life.
Hard drives have well-known connections such as USB 2.0 e USB 3.0, including firmware, which allow you to use them on any computer. Knowing now that it is a hard drive, what its function and capacity are, we will explain below how to start your computer with an external hard drive.
Steps to boot a Windows operating system with an external hard drive
The steps to follow will complete your goal, saving, formatting or freeing space on your PC hard drive, securely with an external hard drive. Remember to start your computer with a good external drive, as it will allow you to solve the most common problems in desktop or laptop computers.
- The first thing to do is go to the start window and press settings, then restart it.
- Next, you have to connect the external hard drive with the operating system, in some USB port on your laptop or desktop computer. This external hard drive must have installed the operating system we will be using.
- Now turn off the computer and make sure the computer is shut down properly to continue and turn it back on with the external equipment connected.
- When you turn on your computer, hit the access key where it says Select boot device > and wait for it to be processed.
- Press F12 and it will present you with a boot device options menu, which your computer will read and display for you.
- Choose the removable disk drive which mainly has the brand name you purchased or just mentions the external drive.
- Another important step is to be patient while the primary computer processes the external drive, which contains the Windows operating system to use on the computer.
- When the system asked you for the check area of selection, you can press any key, so that the installed operating system boots correctly.
After installing the operating system, go to File Explorer and the connected device will appear on the left side. Select it and press the eject option, in case you will no longer use it on your computer and if you don't keep it connected.
As you can read, installing a Windows operating system on your computer is easy and simple, you just need to follow the recommendations given above. For more safety and convenience, please ask an IT technical consultancy, as your staff will be trained to perform this installation.