Video games are the biggest distraction used today. There is a huge variety of these, which you can play from your PlayStation using your mobile phone, many users have noticed that some labels appear in video games which have different numbers depending on the game. That's why we ask ourselves: what is Pegi code in video games and how does it work?
This code is not very well known by players, as they think it is a simple warning, but in reality it is of great importance. Subsequently we will inform you about the Pegi code and how it works.
What kind of content and video games does the PEGI code regulate?
The content type governed by this code is anything that can be considered sensitive or explicit for certain ages; violence, sexual content, disturbing images or sounds, inappropriate language and discrimination.
Typically, video games that contain this code are those directly related to this type of content, although we can see other games classified for all audiences that the PEGI code is involved in. Some categories of games in which this code is present are gambling, armory, fighting, adventure, among others .
What is the regulatory process of the PEGI code?
Basically, there are endless video games, which can deal with different topics and show different images, some of these should not be seen by children or teenagers, since there are games for different audiences.
The Pegi code means in Spanish "Information on pan-European games", which is a label that is presented in video games with different numbers and colors, indicating the recommended age to be able to play a particular video game.
It is responsible for categorizing each game based on its content, which should not be seen by children or teenagers. Its main function is to inform parents of games that are not suitable for their children, becoming a great tool for reps to take care of their children of any type of content they can view.
It must be said that these games are classified by the company that runs them, which must fill out a form indicating the exact contents that are integrated into the game, this material is reviewed by the different institutions that deliver the label corresponding to the content of the game. This label is not only present on the covers, but it can also be displayed in online games.
How are games classified according to PEGI?
The classification of the PEGI code is contained in two parts: labels and descriptors . The former directly sets the age limit of games based on all content; while descriptors are specific to content considered sensitive for some ages.
Among the labels, at the moment we find six:
- PEGI 3 which indicates that the game is suitable for all audiences.
- PEGI 7, which states that the game is suitable for all audiences but may contain slightly sensitive content.
- PEGI 12, this tells us that the game contains more adult language, partial nudity, graphic violence in fantasy environments, and not-so-explicit violence against people or animals.
- PEGI 16; the game contains violent scenes, inappropriate language, sexual representations and may have drug involvement.
- PEGI 18 is the adult restriction label. The poi can cover highly explicit content of violence, sex, as well as having scenes that can be considered obscene.
- PEGI OK, which we can reduce to websites or online entertainment and points out that the game is suitable for all audiences.
Among the descriptors, however, there are eight categories:
- Violence: which refers to violent scenes in which there can be blood, injuries and deaths. It is indicated by the image of a fist.
- Vulgar language: represented with a bubble of text and signs in the form of censorship (asterisks, exclamation point, at), implies that the content contains adult and inappropriate language.
- Discrimination: Indicates that the game may contain discriminatory scenes / language.
- Drugs: Represented by the image of a medical syringe and indicates a graphic or verbal mention of illegal substances
- Fear: symbolized by a spider, it indicates that the game may contain images or sounds that are considered disturbing to some people.
- Game: represented with two dice, it implies that you can see the mention of gambling and betting.
- Gender: Indicates that sexual references or explicit scenes can be found within the content.
Language is one restriction seen a lot in video games , from the second age label onwards, language begins to become less childish; this generally works when adding charisma to the characters' dialogue.
On the other hand, discrimination is a widely seen descriptive starting from the second age label, as we can find a lot of content considered discriminatory in games with this rating.
Some PEGI system labels you should know about
All labels indicate a type of content that the game has, which you need to check before comparing it, these are located on the back of the case, which you can write down in a reminder on your PC to know which video games are suitable for your children, these are: The violent one, this shows a punch and indicates that in the game there are scenes with weapons and the appearance of blood or wounds. Discrimination, its icon shows the outline of three people, indicating, as its name indicates, situations of discrimination.
There is also foul language, its icon shows a cloud of messages with different symbols, which represents that in the game there are insults or innuendo. On the scary tag you can see a spider, where it shows that the game has creepy scenes.
Similarly, the syringe symbol represents that the drug or its use is shown in the game. While the icon showing the female and male symbols, informs that in the game it may have nudes or different references to it.
On the other hand, what "Online" says informs that the game has a way to play it through the Internet and what the dice on the icon shows describes that the video game has gambling games or that type of content.
Ages are also shown in these, if you notice that your child is not old enough to play any of these, it is best to remove the game immediately. Among the first labels is the Pegi 3 which is green, this represents that the game is suitable for all ages.
Furthermore, the Pegi 7, which is still green indicates that the game is suitable for all audiences but may contain a scary sound or image. The Pegi 12, which is orange in color, indicates it displays adult speech and violent scenes.
Ma the most advanced is Pegi 18 showing the adult content in its entirety, with very strong scenes, which cannot be observed by children.
Can the PEGI code regulate mobile applications?
Like console or PC games, games and entertainment content for mobile phones as well are regulated with PEGI . Of course, not all mobile applications contain this code, as it depends on whether the company that developed the game used this service or not.